Waive Your School's Insurance
Note: For best results, please use your desktop or laptop computer. Student Center is not supported for mobile devices.
This page is for those students who wish to opt-out (waive out) of the coverage under their school’s student insurance plan, and have the fee removed from their student account. The school’s student insurance plan can only be waived if the student has coverage under another acceptable insurance plan.
Submitting a waiver, is as easy as 1-2-3! The first step to waive out of your school’s student insurance coverage is to verify that you are a “hard waiver student.
2015 2016 School Year
Full-Time Domestic & Non F1,J1 Rutgers Visa Sponsored Students
If you are a…
- Fall Waiver Deadline: 9/18/15
- Spring/Summer Waiver Deadline: 2/5/16
- Summer Waiver Deadline: 6/30/16 (For full time undergraduate students taking 6 or more credits and full time graduate students taking 6 or more credits in the summer term and accepted into Rutgers in the Fall 2016 semester)
- Your current health insurance plan ID card;
- Your health insurance brochure or plan description (or you might want mom & dad’s phone number handy to help answer some of the waiver questions). There might be a few questions about your current plan.
F1,J1 Rutgers Visa Sponsored Students
Open Enrollment Periods
IMPORTANT INFORMATION: Open Enrollment Periods for all Dependents and Students: If you have eligible Dependents in the fall or, are a student in the fall semester and eligible to purchase coverage and you choose not to enroll for coverage before the Fall Enrollment Deadline of *September 18, 2015, your Dependents or you, will not be eligible to enroll again until the start of the spring/summer unless you experience a “Qualifying Life Event during the year.
Qualifying Life Event
If you did not enroll, or did not enroll your dependents (dependents of hard waiver or voluntary students) during your open enrollment period and have since lost coverage under your original plan, you or the dependents may qualify for a Qualifying Life Event, upon providing proof of involuntary loss of coverage and payment, within 30 days of losing coverage (example: marriage, divorce, loss of job, etc). The enrollment form, check or money order and the letter of creditable coverage, must be received within 30 days of losing coverage. After 30 days, the student or dependents will no longer be eligible to enroll in the plan, until fall of the following school year.
If you have any questions about the waiver process, please call 800-505-4160 or
We are always happy to help in any way.